Friday, January 14, 2011

3arn.net Gets Sitelinks!

I always thought that Google hated 3arn.Net (Despite the fact that it sends me a lot of targeted traffic, lol) until yesterday. I can’t be happier than this. What I had been waiting for since I started this blog.

Juicy Sitelinks!

For me, this is the distinction between an average and an above the average website. Although the notice on google’s webmaster tools about sitelinks says:
Sitelinks are links to a site’s interior pages. Not all sites have sitelinks. Google generates these links automatically, but you can remove sitelinks you don’t want.
Though the only bad thing about Google’s sitelinks is that Google selects them by itself and you basically get no choice to select which ones you want. However, in my case, I have got the best pages on my website on sitelinks.
They only give you the choice of blocking a sitelink that you do not want to show on the google search engine result page, which I would definitely not want or maybe in the future.  Below is a screen shot from this page:
Sitelinks - Webmaster Tools
Well one thing that I’ve noticed is that sitelinks change quite often. When my website first started showing sitelinks, it was showing 6 of them. I decided not to block even one of the them because they certainly gave my website clear dominance on the search engine results page.
However, here I am checking after almost a week and now it has left my website with only 3 sitelinks. This is also a very common thing that I’ve seen in websites. In fact, it is very smart to have found two of my best articles on the website. Although I’m not so pleased with the Advertise page on there but I guess it is going to work out just fine.
Here is a screen shot of this page showing this blog with the sitelinks:
Google Sitelinks
It might as well be that by the time that you check this link, the sitelinks of my website would have already changed because I saw a change in them after four days and since it was last updated on 8th November, it might be updated next on 12th November.

How To Get Sitelinks?

I know you might be thinking this for a while and while I’m not an expert on this topic and neither do I know that my advice will work for you or not. To me, the sitelinks have proven to be the links that:
  • Are given the most importance throughout the site
  • Have the most internal links
  • Have the most links to them
These might be the measures that Google’s “Automatic” bot assigns sitelinks to a website for. While this is still a guess, I’m pretty sure that one of those three factors has do play a crucial role for the assignment of sitelinks to a website. In fact, if you know of any other thing that matters or have something to say about sitelinks in general then please do so in the comments below.

7 comments: