Sunday, January 16, 2011

I’m Clueless About The Caffeine Update

Hello wonderful people,
I’m certain you read my post about the Google caffeine update or would have already read about it elsewhere. While it wasn’t in the Google search operating before the holidays but now it is.
I’m sure I would be among the last ones writing about the effects of this update but I think I should be letting everybody know a little about the effects of this update on my websites. So you know that it’s not fluff. :P
I track my website’s rankings on the tool rank checker by seobook, which is one of the must-have SEO tools that I mentioned a few months back. Since I’m updating to have a look at my rankings everyday and rank checker is kind enough to record updates every time I check the new ranking so that I can compare my rankings over time.
Please bare with me as I do not really know how to get graphical representation from excel data, so instead I’ll just point out some sudden changes that I noticed on my rankings.
I did not get time to read other people’s experiences but for my website, I saw a sudden bump on the 3rd of January 2010. More than half of my rankings had changed and this is not some sort of a Google dance.
I know this because I did not have any such thing done to my website since the last few months. Luckily, for me the bump was positive. :)

The Caffeinated Results

So basically, I have around 10 keywords on my rank checker list. Out of them I see an improvement in 5 of the keywords. With most of them moving from the second page to the top five of the first page.
Keywords with other websites improves as well so it is very hard for me to decide what has changed, although I have used different marketing strategies for almost all of my websites.
A little thing that I think has affected my website might be a little LSI. I don’t know what you call it but I find my website getting traffic from keywords that were not even mentioned on the page even once.
Those keywords were never even used in my linking and still my website was ranking fairly well for them. By this, I mean ranking above other websites which had this keyword optimized on their pages and also in their links. I find this pretty odd.
Maybe Google has started categorizing keywords and has made has made hubs of synonyms and knows that some content is related if it is trusted for the main keywords it has.
I’ll be looking further into this because I’m sure there is something bigger cooking up. Lastly, I’m stunned by the Google developers. Matt cutts was right. The whole Google algorithm change was so ‘under the hood’ that hardly any SEO out there can pin-point factors that have changed in their ranking methods.
So what changes have you experienced on your websites? Have you also seen an increase in the amount of visitors you get from Google? Or the vice-versa? What are your guesses might have changed in their algorithm. I would love to know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment